Document Type : Research Paper
1 PhD student of sport management of Alborz campus. Tehran, Iran
2 Associate Professor of Sport Management, Faculty of Physical Education, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
3 Professor of Sport Management, Faculty of Physical Education, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
Obviously, many fundamental educational objectives lie in sports and games. The physical, intellectual, social, emotional and moral objectives can be achieved through games and sports, directly and indirectly. Therefore, physical education and school sport (PESS) play an important role in social development. However, PESS development requires the identification of its components and functions. Hence, the present study aimed to analyzed the theoretical foundations of PESS and extracted factors affected by and affecting it. This qualitative study employed in-depth semi-structured interviews to collect data. Snowball theoretical sampling was used to select interviewees (12). The results indicated that political, management, planning and policy making, procedural, structural, hardware and higher education problems and conceptual misunderstandings affect PESS. Furthermore, PESS development can lead to the development of sports and community health, and will enhance social capital and economic development. Therefore, considering the educational importance of physical education at schools and the broad effects of educational sports on society, it is suggested that a development master plan be prepared and implemented for PESS, taking into account the factors and variables affecting it, along with setting executive programs at the highest management level.
- Araújo-Soares, V., McIntyre, T., & Sniehotta, F. F. (2009). Predicting changes in physical activity among adolescents: The role of self-efficacy, intention, action planning and coping planning. Health Education Research, 24, 128-139.
- Bourdieu, P. (1984). Distinction: A social critique of the judgment of taste. Harvard University Press. Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Bailey, R., Armour, K., Kirk, D., Jess, M., Pickup, I., & Sandford, R. (2009). The educational benefits claimed for physical education and school sport: An academic Review. Research Papers in Education, 24(1),1-27.
- Danaee Fard, H. (2013). Toward the understanding the political dowry in the public sector. Strategic Management Thought, 7(1), 5-31. (Persian).
- Danaee Fard, H., & Alvani, S. M., (2006). Reform strategy in Iranian public sector: Is the new public management a proper strategy? Semi-Annually Daneshvar Raftar, 13(17), 98-120. (Persian).
- Department of Health & Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). (2012). Physical education curriculum analysis tool (PECAT). Atlanta GA, 30341-3724.
- Donnellya, P., Atkinsona, M., Boyle, S., & Szto, C. (2011). Sport for development and peace: A public sociology perspective. Third World Quarterly, 32(3), 589-601.
- Ejtehadi, M., & Davoudi, R. (2007). Structural pathology of higher education system in executing its five-year development plans and proposing suitable strategies. Curriculum Planning Knowledge & Research in Educational Sciences, 21(15), 1-24. (Persian).
- Ennis, C. D. (2013). Implementing meaningful, educative curricula and assessments in complex school environments. Sport Education Society, 18(1), 115-120.
- Ennis, C. D. (1996). When avoiding confrontation leads to avoiding content: disruptive students’ impact on curriculum. Journal of Curriculum Supervisory, 11, 145-162.
- Faraji, R., & Sadeghi R. (2014). The study of practical courses efficiency to meet B.A. syllabuses from physical education teachers’ viewpoints. Applied Research of Sport Management and Biology, 3(9), 37-48. (Persian).
- Fine, B. (2003), Social Capital versus Social Theory: Political Economy and Social Science at the Turn of the Millennium. New York: Routledge.
- Fukuyama, F. (2000). Social capital and civil society, prepared for deliver city. Available at: Http://www.worldbank.org/poverty/scapital/whastc.html [10 Nov. 2015].
- Glaser B. G., (1992). Basics of grounded theory analysis: Emergence vs. forcing. Mill Valley, CA: Sociology Press.
- Haskell, W. L., Lee, I. M., Pate, R. R., Powell, K. E., Blair, S. N., Franklin, B. A., …, & Bauman, A. (2007). Physical activity and public health: Updated recommendation for adults from the American college of sports medicine and the American heart association. Medical Science Sports Exercise, 39(8), 1423-1434.
- Institute of Medicine (IOM). (2013). Educating the student body: Taking physical activity and physical education to school. Washington DC: National Academics Press.
- Jahanian, R. (2012). The study and analysis of the developmental policies of the Iran’s contemporary educational. Political Science Quarterly, 8(19), 93-116. (Persian).
- Javanmard, K., & Navabakhsh M. (2014). A sociological investigation of sport effect on Iranian social integration in 1380s (Case study: Kerman). Quarterly Journal of Specialized Social Science, 11(41), 37-54. (Persian).
- Khosravizade, E., Seneh, A., & Haghdadi, A. (2011). Status of of physical education curriculum in secondary schools. Journal of Curriculum Studies, 6(23), 162-183. (Persian).
- Levermore, R. (2011). Evaluating sport-for-development. Approaches and critical Issues Progress in Development Studies, 11, 339-353.
- Lyras, A., & Peachey, J. W. (2011). Integrating sport-for-development theory and praxis. Sport Management Review , 14(4), 311–326.
- Malakoutian, M. (2009). Sport and politics. Politics quarterly. Journal of Faculty of Law and Political Science, 39(2), 301-316. (Persian).
- Marcu, V., & Buhaş, S. D. (2014). Sports organizations – management and science. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 117, 678 – 682.
- Martine, P. Y., & Turner, B. (1986). Grounded theory and organational research. The Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, 22(2), 141-157.
- Mathers, C., Stevens, G., & Mascarenhas, M. (2009). Global health risks. Mortality and burden of disease attributable to selected major risks. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- Memari, Z., Golchin, E., & Asghari Jafarabadi, M. (2015). Identifying the dimensions & evaluation of path model in physical education course in primary school. Journal of Technology of Education, 9(2), 131-142. (Persian).
- Mitchell, M. S., Henderson, J. R., Aubuchon, S., Turner, L. (2010). Enhancing exercise behaviors, application of self efficacy concepts. Alabama: University of Alabama.
- Mohnsen, B. S. (2003). Teaching middle school physical educationn: A Standards-Based Approach for Grades 5-8 (3rd Edition). Human kinetics.
- Mozafari, S. A. A., Moeinfard, M. R., Poursoltani, H., Moshref Javadi, B., & Esmaeli, M. R. (2010). Status of teaching P. E. course in the first three grades of elementary schools of Iran. Journal of Movement Science & Sports, 7(14) 119-139. (Persian).
- Parsamehr, M., & Torkan, R. (2012). A survey about the relationship between social captal and sport’s activities in participation. Quarterly Iranian Journal of Nursing Research, 7(26), 69-79. (Persian).
- Paymanfar, M. H., Elahi, A. R., & Hamidi, M. (2012). Sports system infrastructure barriers to do strategic plans in Iran. Socio Cultural Strategy Journal, 1(3), 145-155.
- Pate, R., Davis, M. G., Robinson, T. N., Stone, E. J., McKenzie, T. L., & Young, J. C. (2006). Promoting physical activity in children and youth: A leadership role for schools: A scientific statement from the American heart association council on nutrition, physical activity, and metabolism (Physical activity committee) in collaboration with the councils on cardiovascular disease in the young and cardiovascular nursing. Circulation, 114, 1214-1224.
- Pirasteh, A., Heidarniya, A., & Faghiehzadeh, S. (2007). Build and validate scales measuring psychosocial Factors. Which are effective in physical activity of high school girls of district 10 of Tehran. Journal of Ilam University of Medical Sciences, 15, 39-47. (Persian).
- Razavi, M. H., Shabani Bahar, G. R., & Sajjadi, S.A. (2011). Analysis of factors effecting to physical education quality in schools of the viewpoint of teachers. Semi-Annually journal of Sport Management & Behavior Movement, 7(14), 103-112. (Persian).
- Safavi, M., Yahyavi, S. H., & Pourrahimi, M. (2012). Impact of dietary behaviors and exercise activities education on the self-efficacy of middle school students. Quarterly Medical Sciences Journal of Islamic Azad University, 22(2), 143-151. (Persian).
- Samadi, P., Javadipour, M., & Lofti M. (2013). Evaluation of education coursesin high schools based on Klein’s theory. New Thoughts on Education, 9(4), 93-118. (Persian).
- Tofighi Darian, J. (2009). The necessity of quality improvement in Iran high education. Journal of Industry & University, 2(5-6), 5-10. (Persian).
- US Public Health Service Office of the Surgeon General. (1996). Physical activity and health: A report of the surgeon general. Washington: US Department of Health and Human Services.
- Weston, A. (1962). The making of American physical education. New York: Appleton Century Crofts.
- Zou Alaktaf, V., Kargarfard, M., & Karami, H. (2004). Upgrading of Curriculum of BA degree in physical education from academians viewpoint. Olympic, 12(2), 7-20. (Persian).