Document Type : Research Paper
Ph.D. Student, Sport Management, Urmia University Campus, Urmia, Iran.
Professor, Department of Sport Management, Faculty of Physical Education and Sport Sciences, Urmia University, Urmia, Iran.
Professor, Department of Sport Management, Faculty of Physical Education and Sport Sciences, Guilan University, Rasht, Iran.
The aim of the present study was to analyze the effect of sports participation on social capital based on the mediating role of media and interactive ability of individuals. The method is described-correlational, in terms of process strategy, for the purpose of application and in terms of field data collection method. The population of the study consisted of citizens of Guilan province with athletic activities and the sample was estimated based on the Morgan table with more than 10,000 people in 384 people. The research tools included sport participation questionnaire, Participate in sports cyberspace questionnaire, interactive capability questionnaire, and social capital questionnaire, each containing 4 dimensions and 16 questions. To evaluate the content and formality, comments and suggestions were made by six expert sports for all and six sports management specialist in reviewing the tools. Confirmatory factor analysis and path analysis using PPL software were used to study the construct validity and analysis of the main hypotheses. The results showed that sport participation had a direct and significant effect on media participation, interactivity and social capital. Meanwhile, Sobel's test in the analysis of mediator relations showed that the indirect effect of sports participation on social capital from both the medium of media participation and the interactive capability is more than its direct effect. Therefore, it can be argued that although sports participation directly increases social capital, interventions such as training interactions and media participation increase its impact.
- Abdolmaleki, H., Ali Dost Qahfarhi, I., & Goodarzi, M. (2015). Investigating the relationship between the use of sports media and social capital of students of Tehran University. Contemporary Research on Sport Management, 5(10), 13-24. (Persian).
- Abdolmaleki, H., Nourizadeh, A., & Shah Mohammadi, S. (2013). A survey on the relationship between the amount of sports media consumption and the social capital of athletes participating in the first Olympiad in Tehran's neighborhood sports. Paper presented at the Second Student Sports Student Conference. Shahid Beheshti University, Tehran. (Persian (.
- Abioye AI, Hajifathalian K, Danaei G. Do mass media campaigns improve physical activity? a systematic review and meta-analysis. Arch Pub Health. 2013;71(20):1-10. doi: 10.1186/0778-7367-71-20
- Ahmadi, S., Mokhtari, M., & Zarei, H. (2015). The relationship between physical self-esteem and attitude toward exercise with women's sports participation using the structural Z Equivalent Model. Applied Research in Sport Management, 4(15), 41-51. (Persian).
- Berra, D. P., Zhang, J. J., Pease, D. G., & Gaa, J. P. (2016). Dimensions of spectator identification associated with women’s professional basketball game attendance. International Journal of Sport Management, 4(1), 59–91.
- Chalak, M. (2017). Designing a participation model in adventure sports activities. (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). Kharazmi University, Tehran. (Persian. (
- Davari, A., & Rezazadeh, A. (2017). Structural equation modeling with PLS software (4th ed.). Tehran: Jahad University Press. (Persian).
- Delaney, L., & Keaney, E. (2005). Sport and social capital in the United Kingdom: statistical evidence from national and international survey data. Dublin: Economic and Social Research Institute and Institute for Public Policy Research, 32, 1-32.
- Downward, P., Pawlowski, T., & Raseiute, S. (2011). Sport, trust and social capital. Proceeding of the XIII and III ESEA Conferences on Sport Economies. Prague, Czech Republic.
- Eslame, M. (2014). Relationship between social capital and women's participation in sport activity (Case study: Women in Gorgan). Social Capital Management, 1(2), 139-159. (Persian)
- Fardouly; J. Pinkus; R. Vartanian; L (2017) The impactof appearance comparisons made through social madiatraditional media, and in person inwomen severydaylives. BodyImage-No: 20-31-39 journal hompage www. elsevier.comlocate/bodyimage
- Ghasemi, H., & Keshavara, L. (2017). Sports and media with applied approach. Tehran: Science and Sports. (Persian).
- Honary, H., Ahmadi, A. H., & Moradi, M. (2012). Investigation of the role of sports media in the development of sport championship sports. Sports Management Studies, 45, 145-158. (Persian).
- Jahangir, K., Aghahosini, T., Shokrchizadeh, P., Sharifiana, M., & Mousavi Nafchi, S. M. (2012). Investigating the role of Leisure time based on physical activity on social capital (Social norms, participation) of the faculty members of Isfahan University of Medical Sciences. Journal of Health Systems Research, 9(11). 1167-1177. (Persian).
- Krejcie, R. V., & Morgan, D. W. (1970). Determining sample size for research activities. Educational and psychological measurement, 30(3), 607-610.
- Khatibzadeh, M. (2016). Regular sports participation pattern design. (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). University of Trabiat Modarres, Tehran. (Persian (.
- Lindström, M. (2011). Social capital, desire to increase physical activity and leisure-time physical activity: A population-based study. Public Health, 125, 442-447,
- Majidi, C. Moharramzadeh; M. (2016). Strategy for development of adventure sports in Sanandaj city using SWOT. analysis Journal of Sport Management and Motor Behavior, Fall and Winter 2016. Number 12 pages.;27-44. (Persian).
- Moradi, M., Honary, H., & Ahmadi, A. H. (2011). Comparison of the following effective components of communication roles, social participation, education and nationalization of the national media in public sport. Communication Research, 64, 51-70. (Persian).
- Nora Ali Vand, A. (2015). Investigating the role of social capital in explaining sports participation (Case study: Women in Ilam province). Journal of Social-Cultural Development Studies, 3(59), 127-149. (Persian (.
- Parsamehr, M. (2013). Investigating the Motives of Individuals Participating in Sport Activities (Experimental Test of Theory of Planning). Research Journal on Sport Management and Motor Behavior, 4(8), 12-24, (Persian)
- Parsamehr, M., & Jesmani, S. (2011). The role of social capital on Sport consumpti on. Journal of Research in Sport Management and Motor Behavior, 1(9), 1-17. (Persian).
- Rafiei Jirodi, A. Habibzadeh Khotbeh Sara; R. (2014) Social Capital of the Young and Older Generations and Factors Affecting its Erosion, Journal of Socio-Cultural Development Studies, Volume 2, Number 40, Spring, Pages 153-127. (Persian).
- Report of the Sixth Program of Sports and Youth Development. (2017). Strategy Paper Ministry of Sports, 42-86. (Persian).
- Ruddock, A., Hutchins, B., & Rowe, D. (2010). Contradictions in media sport culture: The reinscription of football supporter traditions through online media. European Journal of Cultural Studies, 13(3), 323-339.
- Sadeghi, M., & Bahamiriyan, M. (2015). Study the relationship between social capital of organization and empowering staff of universities: A case study of applied science centers of Kermanshah. International Journal o Economy, Management and Social Sciences, 4(2), 139-146.
- Saffari, M. (2012). Designing the pattern of general sports development in Iran. (Unpublisheddoctoral dissertation). Tarbiat Modares University, Tehran. (Persian (.
- Santos, P., Breuer, C., & Pawlowski, T. (2016). Promoting sport for all to agespecific target groups: The impact of sport infrastructure. European Sport Management Quarterly, 9(2), 103-118.
- Sharipoor, M., & Hosseini Rad, A. (2008). The study of the relationship between social capital and sport participation (Case study of citizens aged 15-29 in Babol). Movement, 37, 131-153 (Persian).
- Sseippel, O. (2006). Sport and social capital. Acta Sociologicalt, 49(2), 169-183.