Document Type : Research Paper
Faculty Member, Department of Educational Management and Planning, Faculty of Educational Sciences and Psychology, Shiraz University, Shiraz, Iran
Associate Professor, Department of Sports Physiology, Shiraz University, Shiraz, Iran
PhD student in Curriculum Planning, Shiraz University, Shiraz, Iran
MA in Curriculum Planning, Shiraz University, Shiraz, Iran
B A. Department of Counseling, Faculty of Psychology, Fatemieh University, Shiraz, Iran
The purpose of this study was to explore the concept of instruction of quality sports coaches. In terms of applied purpose, this research has been among the qualitative and multidisciplinary researches that explore the concept of guidance of sports coaches with a meta-combination, the findings of global studies and then, based on the use of phenomenology, the lived experiences of sports coaches in relation to guidance. Is exploring. Has set. The meta-combination design was performed using the sixth step method of Sandlowski and Barroso. The sources of data collection were five databases for foreign studies and two databases in Persian language. After collecting the data, the content analysis method was used for analysis. The phenomenological design was performed using a seven-stage Klaizi model. The means of using semi-structured interviews and participants in this section were 20 sports coaches in the academic year 1401-1400. Criteria, snowball and theoretical saturation are used to select the targeted technique. Data analysis in this section was performed using thematic analysis method. Based on the results of the two projects, the design of the role of guidance in the coaching skills of sports coaches was identified in the form of three main themes including progressivism, social ethics and empowerment. The result is that a coach who is proficient in instructional techniques along with athletes can help it in a correct and principled way to achieve success and sports and professional goals.
- Becker, A. J. (2009). It's not what they do, it's how they do it: Athlete experiences of great coaching. International Journal of Sports Science & Coaching, 4(1), 93-119.
- Bennie, A., & O'Connor, D. (2011). An effective coaching model: The perceptions and strategies of professional team sport coaches and players in Australia. International Journal of Sport and Health Science, 9, 98-104.
- Breuer, M., & Klewe, L. (2021). Mentoring im Sport mit Kindern & Jugendlichen–Pilotstu-die bewegtes ICH. Jahrgang: Leipziger Sportwissenschaftliche Beiträge.
- Côté, J., & Gilbert, W. (2009). An integrative definition of coaching effectiveness and expertise. International Journal of Sports Science & Coaching, 4(3), 307-323.
- Dibai Saber, Mohsen, & Sobhani Nejad. (2020). Identifying the components of the system for developing the competence of secondary school teachers from the perspective of experts. Education and Learning Research, 17(1), 61-75. (Persian)
- Dixon, M. A. (2021). Finding Joy in the Journey: Sustaining a Meaningful Career in Sport Management. Journal of Sport Management, 1, 1-8.
- Douglas, S., & Douglas, C. (2020). Professionally mentoring a novice coach. Strategies, 33(1), 44-46.
- Downham, L., & Cushion, C. (2020). Reflection in a high-performance sport coach education program: A Foucauldian analysis of coach developers. International Sport Coaching Journal, 7(3), 347-359.
- Evans, M. B., McGuckin, M., Gainforth, H. L., Bruner, M. W., & Côté, J. (2015). Coach development programmes to improve interpersonal coach behaviours: A systematic review using the re-aim framework. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 49(13), 871-877.
- Fahim Devin, H., & Asadollahi, E. (2021). Investigating the mediating role of coaches'sense of humor in causative relation of transformational (inspirational) leadership with sport achievement motivation in elite athletes. Organizational Behavior Management in Sport Studies, 8(2), 93-102.
- Falcao, W. R., Bloom, G. A., & Sabiston, C. M. (2020). The impact of humanistic coach training on youth athletes’ development through sport. International Journal of Sports Science & Coaching, 15(5-6), 610-620.
- Fard, Z. R., Azadi, A., Khorshidi, A., Mozafari, M., O’Connor, T., Budri, A. M., …, & Patton D. (2020). A comparison of faculty led, mentorship program and peer mentoring on nursing students wound dressing clinical skills. Nurse Education Today, 2020, 104378.
- Fathi, F., Ameri, M. H., Jamyani, K., & Qaderzadeh, J. (2014). Relationship between leadership styles and efficiency of coaches of professional volleyball teams in the country. Paper presented at the Third National Student Conference of Sports Sciences, Shahid Beheshti University, Tehran.
- Fraina, M., & Hodge, S. R. (2020). Mentoring relationships among athletes, coaches, and athletic administrators: A literature review. Journal for the Study of Sports and Athletes in Education, 14(2), 140-164.
- Ghosh, R., Hutchins, H. M., Rose, K. J., & Manongsong, A. M. Exploring the lived experiences of mutuality in diverse formal faculty mentoring partnerships through the lens of mentoring schemas. Human Resource Development Quarterly, 31(3), 319-340.
- Gjesdal, S., Stenling, A., Solstad, B. E., & Ommundsen, Y. (2019). A study of coach‐team perceptual distance concerning the coach‐created motivational climate in youth sport. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports, 29(1), 132-143.
- Golpaigani, N., Zameni, F., & Usefi Saeedabasi, R. (2020). The impact of mentoring on the responsive education in macro-medical universities of region 1 based on the fourth-generation universities approach. Journal of Medicine and Cultivation, 29(2), 117-127. (Persian)
- Grant, M. A., Bloom, G. A., & Lefebvre, J. S. (2020). Lessons learned: Coaches’ perceptions of a pilot e-mentoring programme. International Sport Coaching Journal, 7(1), 22-30.
- Gruber, J., Borelli, J. L., Prinstein, M. J., Clark, L. A., Davila, J., Gee, D. G., ..., & Weinstock, L. M. (2020). Best practices in research mentoring in clinical science. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 129(1), 70.
- Kazemmipour, A., Mehdipour, A., & Azmasha, T. Designing and compiling indicators for selecting the head coach of the Iranian national football team. Sports Management Studies, 32(12), 33-54. (Persian)
- Langan, E., Blake, C., & Lonsdale, C. (2013). Systematic review of the effectiveness of interpersonal coach education interventions on athlete outcomes. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 14(1), 37-49.
- Lee, Y. H., & Woo, B. (2020). Mentoring relationship in sports and its applicability to positive youth development context: A literature review and recommendation. Research in Dance and Physical Education, 4(2), 53-73.
- Leeder, T. M., & Sawiuk, R. (2021). Reviewing the sports coach mentoring literature: A look back to take a step forward. Sports Coaching Review, 10(2), 129-152.
- Leeder, T. M., Russell, K., & Beaumont, L. C. (2021). Educative mentoring in sport coaching: A reciprocal learning process. Cambridge Journal of Education, 52(3), 309-326.
- Leeder, T., & Cushion, C. (2020). The reproduction of ‘coaching culture’: A Bourdieusian analysis of a formalised coach mentoring programme. Sports Coaching Review, 9(3), 273-295.
- Lefebvre, J. S. (2021). From mentoring to developmental networks: An examination of developmental relationships in sport (Doctoral dissertation). McGill University, Canada.
- Lefebvre, J. S., Bloom, G. A., & Loughead, T. M. (2020). A citation network analysis of career mentoring across disciplines: A roadmap for mentoring research in sport. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 49, 101676.
- Mallett, C. J., Trudel, P., Lyle, J., & Rynne, S. B. (2009). Formal vs. informal coach education. International journal of sports science & coaching, 4(3), 325-364.
- Mantzourani, E., Chang, H., Fleming, G., & Desselle, S. P. (2021). Design fundamentals of mentoring programs for pharmacy professionals (Part 2): Considerations for mentors and mentees. Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy, 17(2), 449-
- Moen, F., & Federici, R. A. (2011). Perceptions of coach competence and perceived need satisfaction: Assessing a Norwegian Coach Competence Scale. The International Journal of Coaching in Organizations, 8(32), 124-138.
- Møllerløkken, N. E., Lorås, H., & Pedersen, A. V. (2017). A comparison of players’ and coaches’ perceptions of the coach-created motivational climate within youth soccer teams. Frontiers in Psychology, 8, 109.
- Mullen, C. A., & Klimaitis, C. C. (2021). Defining mentoring: A literature review of issues, types, and applications. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 1483(1), 19-35.
- Niroumand, P., Ghahremani, J., & Qasemzadeh Alishahi, A. (2022). Provide a model for mentoring new teachers in the country's educational system based on the data theory of the foundation from the perspective of sociology of education. Sociological Studies, 14(56), 225-240. (Persian)
- Ostad Rahimi, A., Abdollahi, H. R. (2020). Investigating the relationship between senior teacher and self-efficacy of novice teachers. Educational Innovations, 76(19), 113-136. (Persian)
- Palmer, C. (2019). Becoming a great mentor. Monitor on Psychology, 50(1), 48.
- Salinas, Jr. C., Riley, P., Camacho, Jr. L., & Floyd, D. L. Mentoring experiences and perceptions of latino male faculty in higher education. Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences. 2020, 42(1), 117-140.
- Sawiuk, R., Leeder, T. M., Lewis, C. J., & Groom, R. (2022). Planning, delivering, and evaluating formalised sport coach mentoring: exploring the role of the Programme Director. Sports Coaching Review, 1-20.
- Short, S. E., & Short, M. W. (2005). Essay: Role of the coach in the coach-athlete relationship. The Lancet, 366, S29-S30.
- Stewart, J., & Knowles, V. (2003). Mentoring in undergraduate business management programmes. Journal of European Industrial Training.
- Taghavi, H., Shabani, A., & Azadi, L. (2020). Investigating the role of Islamic mentoring in the development of research competencies of graduate students in the field of knowledge and information science. Public Library Information Research, 25(4), 621-643. (Persian)
- Underhill, C. M. (2006). The effectiveness of mentoring programs in corporate settings: A meta-analytical review of the literature. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 68(2), 292-
- Wagstaff, M., & Parker, A. (2020). Youth,“waithood,” and social change: Sport, mentoring, and empowerment in Sub-Saharan Africa. Journal of Sport for Development, 9(1), 1-14.
- Walker, L. F., Thomas, R., & Driska, A. P. (2018). Informal and nonformal learning for sport coaches: A systematic review. International Journal of Sports Science & Coaching, 13(5), 694-707.
- Zamani Nukaabadi, A., Aroufzadeh, S., Nazari, R., & Movahesi, A. (2020). Study of competencies' Iran sport coaching. Research in Sport Science Education, 1(1), 52-88.